Wednesday, October 14, 2009




Alex
:
Okay so first off why dont you start us off by introducing yourself to the readers, and telling us what you do, and your significance in the Christian metal scene.

Matt:
Hey, I’m Matt, about 19y old, vocalist of Blood Drift, a death metal band and owner of www.jesusmetal.com.
I am trying to work as much as I can for the christian metalscene, promoting metal as much as I can and trying to get the message out in a non-condemning way, not in a ’’turn or burn’’-way but in a whole process of listening and discussing in a friendly way, using situations we all can relate to.
And I love beer, lots of beer.

Alex:
Now Blood Drift being a relativley newer band to the christian metal scene, do you find it hard to get recognition or to get people to listen to the music?

Matt:
For me it is not that hard, throughout the years I’ve been making contacts allover the world, sometimes I’m surprised of how many people I know, or people that know me. It is way harder for me to get known in the local secular scene than to get some international listeners to hear our music.

Alex:
How long have you been into the whole metal/Christian metal scene?

Matt:
I’ve been into metal for 4.5years, I know it’s not that long,
but for me it has always been the intensity of my activity, the moment I got into it I was trying to get as much info as possible.(I also immediately started with the Christian scene in a whole, as I was raised to do)
I started browsing the internet, band websites, ask some older friends for info, sign up on forums and all to get as much knowledge as possible about the whole scene.

Alex:
Growing up have you been raised in a Christian home?

Matt:
As said in the previous question, yes I have been raised in a ’Christian’ home, although I have to say we’re not typically Christians, we follow the Word of God, but for example, haven’t been going to a church for years.

Alex:
Has the release of "Thrusting Plagues" been successful so far?

Matt:
Thrusting Plagues has, in my opinion, been very succesful on a worldwide scale, as far as I know, we haven’t gotten any real negative feedback on it, with exception of some feedback from a professional trying to give us some constructive criticism.
Now when talking more local, we haven’t been very ’’succesful’’ yet, partially because we don’t have a lot of connections in the local scene, but we’re working on that.

Alex:
If you could change anything about the release what would it be?

Matt:
I would’ve liked a song or 2 more on the EP,
3 songs isn’t all that much, but at that point we wouldn’t have been able to record more tracks that we were really happy about.

Alex:
Will there be plans for a full-length?

Matt:
This is all a bit vague, at the moment I can say we are writing more songs, we already have a set of songs ready that would be worthy to be recorded and are more fast, technical and brutal than our EP songs, but there is absolutely NOTHING set into stone about a future release.
This is something that time will tell, first playing some gigs and get our name out and we’ll just see what the future brings.

Alex:
Do you see Blood Drift going far as a band?

Matt:
Blood Drift has the potential of becoming quite big, it sounds a bit awkward that I say this as a bandmember, but that is what I feel. Now, this will all depend on how the relationships in the band and the external situation will evolve.

Alex:
As a band what is Blood Drifts primary goal?

Matt:
Hm, I think there is a different goal for every member in the band, I’m not going to share the visions of the other guys, but I can tell what I feel to be the goal for BD.
For me it is about having fun with my friends, every Blood Drift member is one of my best friends and rehearsing, playing and working with them is pure fun.
Furthermore Blood Drift is a band that should give the christian scene something new and brutal but also can play for a secular crowd and give them a great time, if by any means they will start thinking about what we write then that’s great.

Alex:
Now you being the owner of JesusMetal, and the vocalist of Blood Drift at such a young age do you find it overwhelming at times?

Matt:
Yes, extremely.
I started college this year, or at least that’s what I think you guys call it, I’m trying to become a teacher in English and Music.
Jesusmetal might seem easy to do, but every month I spend hours and hours working on things, writing a review is one thing, putting everything in templates, checking for typos, contacting bands, it is amazing how much work it is, I have had weekends where I worked nearly 20 hours to get some stuff done.
And on top of this all, I’m indeed busy with Blood Drift.
My biggest ’duty’ in the band is promotion and making contacts, and together with Aris writing lyrics.
I even was in another band at one point, a secular band called Wishing Well, but after a short while I noticed I just couldn’t do this anymore, as it was getting too much.

Alex:
Are you part of any other bands/projects?

Matt:
Heh, well as said above I was in a progressive death metal band called Wishing Well, but I left that.
Aside to that I am not in any serious other project.
I’ve had ideas of different things but these never really worked out.

Alex:
Musically, what are your biggest influences? Have they changed throughout the past few years? How about non-musically?

Matt:
Sympathy, Sacrificium, Schaliach, In Vain, Pantokrator and Crimson Moonlight to name a few, of which the biggest would be Sympathy.
Yes they have changed a lot, I used to be a big antestor and slechtvalk fan, but over the years I’ve lost interest in black metal in general, not that I dislike both bands now.
Non-musically I’d say the Word and my friends have been the ones that influence me. Although there were some, I can’t say I’ve had a lot of real experiences that were a major influence.

Alex:
What would you consider to be your absolute favorite genre of metal? how about music in general?(though it may be the same)


Matt:
In the beginning I was more of a black metal fan,
had a short doom metal phase, but quickly went to listening death metal, which is still my fav. genre.
I must say I love to listen to ’’wrong music’’, and eurodance, europop and trance are things I listen to daily.
But that’s no real influence, just for fun.
Johnny Cash on the other hand has a special place in my heart.

Alex:
What would you say the basic lyric scheme of Blood Drift is?

Matt:
The Word. We take bible passages and write them to fit the music. We always write music first, look for a passage that fits the atmosphere, get a title out of it and write the lyrics.
For our EP, Thrusting Plagues we only used Revelations.

Alex:
In your own thoughts, do you think it is alright for a Christian to cuss? And do you agree with this segment of scripture?
James 3:10-12

10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Matt:
I cuss, I cuss a lot, for fun, if I really mean it, I don’t feel bad when doing it, so I’d say it is alright to cuss.
I am not talking about cursing though, for me there is a major difference between saying the F-word as you guys call it and for example G-dd-mn. I would never ever say the latter as this would be using Gods name in vain. I won’t use ’I condomn you to the eternal pits of fire’-esque types of curses, as these are really what cursing is. Cussing is something different. Although I respect other people and if they ask in a polite way, then I won’t use any cuss-word either.

For the segment of James, I agree, I firlmy believe in the power of words and in self-fulfilling prophecy.

Alex:
As a Christian band, do you think that it is enough to just express faith through lyrics or do you feel it is something that needs to be shared through actions and stage presence also?(like giving a little message on stage or something)

Matt:
I don’t even think it’s always necessary to express faith through lyrics, as long as the lyrics you write are honest I think it’s good. Bands sometimes only write about the sorrow in their lives, or personal negative experiences, it can be more interesting reading those than some praise-lyrics.
I’m not the kind of guy that will preach on stage, people (especially a secular crowd) doesn’t come to a concert to hear someone preach. Now, if there is even 1 person that would like to talk to me about faith or whatever after a concert, I’ll be available. But on-stage it’s music time.

Alex:
Being in a band, what is the best experience that you have had so far? Worst experience?

Matt:
We haven’t played that many shows yet, every show has it’s great parts and less-awesome parts, seeing people headbang at our shows gives some kind of adrenaline rush, seeing that people like it, especially that time at Dead and Alive fest, where the guys of Pantokrator were headbanging during our gig, seeing some of my ’role-models of metal’ enjoying the music we play, is wonderful.
I don’t think I’ve had a real ’worst experience’.
We haven’t really made fools out of ourselves yet ;)

Alex:
Do you feel that Christian metal plays a big part in todays metal scene?

Matt:
It plays a part yes, I’m happy these days, that most of the people don’t care what faith you have, as long as you can play quality music.
As lyrics are something personal, I’ve had secular bands I can better relate to than some Christian bands.
I do think there are still some walls to get rid of, some prejudices that have to be taken down.
Although if you’re a band like Extol, Pantokrator, Becoming the Archetype, then the quality of the stuff you bring will make sure people won’t really be bothered by the fact you’re singing about salvation or whatever.
I am not saying it plays a big part yet, and I don’t think that’ll change too soon.

Alex:
What is your favorite Bible verse?

Matt:
I don’t have a favourite verse, Psalm 18 has had a huge impact on me and I could say that that would be most intense for me but depending on the situation I’m in, I find things I can use all the time, a verse that looks so useless in one situation will get you through a different one.

Alex:
Do you feel its a necessity to spend time in prayer everyday in order to be a Christian?

Matt:
Not for me. I pray when I feel like praying, when I am able to say an honest prayer in which I really talk to God.
I don’t make a habit out of praying 7 minutes before going to bed or something.

Alex:
What are your top five Christian albums? Secular?

Matt:
A specific order is impossible, I’ll just give the 5 albums that have the biggest impact on me at the moment.
These might change from time to time though.

Christian:
Crimson Moonlight - Veil of Remembrance
Pantokrator - Aurum
Becoming the Archetype - The Physics of Fire
Schaliach - Sonrise
Extol - Burial

--

Secular:
In Vain - The Latter Rain
Eluveitie - Spirit
Nile - Ithyphallic
Thy Majestie - Jeanne D’Arc
Morphia - Fading Beauty

Alex:
Favorite song?

Matt:
Excurses - Devil’s Footprints

Alex:
Lord of the rings or 300?

Matt:
Although I think LOTR was overrated, it was still an amazing trilogy and I have to go with that.
Don’t think I didn’t like 300 though, it was awesome.

Alex:
What do you believe is a key part in ministering to those who are not Christians? Do you feel it is our job to help lead them to Christ?

Matt:
It is our job to be who we are and live a life like we should be doing, and if non-christians want to ask questions about it, that we tell them what we believe in.
I am not an evangelist. But I won’t hide the fact that I believe.

Alex:
Who would you compare Blood Drift to, band-wise, the most. Christian? Secular?

Matt:
A question I can not answer to be honest, I can’t compare it myself, and I don’t think I’ve heard comparisons by other people before. We’re playing brutal death metal with some black influence, if you like that, you should like what we play.

Alex:
Any last words you would like to say? Anything you would like the readers to keep you/Blood Drift in prayer for?

Matt:
Thank you for the interview Fredrik.
At the moment I don’t have any real prayer request, except for the fact that it’s always cool if you guys just pray for Blood Drift to keep going the good direction. Guidance from above is always welcome.


Head on over to Blood Drifts
Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment