Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Interview with Azahel of Frost Like Ashes (2/10/08)

Alex:
First off, why dont you tell us a little bit about yourself, and your significance in the Christian metal scene.

Azahel:
What my significance is, I don't really know. I would like to think I have had some positive influence on the scene. The scene has struggled and suffered over the years and I have always tried to set an example for everyone of how a Christian should think about Metal. However, since my main focus has always been the secular metal scene, I am not sure how much influence I hold. I began singing in '89 and released two releases before starting Possession in about '92. I really think that Possession was groundbreaking and ahead of its time. I remember getting the last Emperor album and thinking that someone was finally trying to do what Possession did almost a decade before. But without the quality production and the proper distribution, influence is very limited. Here is an interesting fact, the Internet and the World Wide Web went public in '91 and Possession had a website with free music downloads in '92. As far as I can tell, we were the very first band in the world to have a website.



Alex:

Growing up were you raised in a Christian home? What age did you come to at salvation? and how did you come about it?

Azahel:

I was raised in a Christian home. I attended church everytime the doors were opened. I didn't make the decision to follow God until I was 8 years old. I had gone with my parents to a Crusade at the local arena in Bismarck, North Dakota and at the end I knew that I was not good enough and needed forgiveness. I cannot tell you how much detail I knew at that moment but it was real and has never changed since. I have been through many struggles and have not come through unscathed but I am still here and fighting.


Alex:

About how long would you say you have been into metal? What where some of the first metal bands you got into? And when did you start getting into Christian metal?

Azahel:
I would say the pivetol year for me was '80. I went to a new school and was introduced to many Christian bands such as Larry Norman, Petra, Rez, and others. Of course, at that moment there were no bands that I would call metal in the Christian realm. In fact, there were very few in the secular world either. But right away I began to listen to Maiden, Armored Saint, Dio and eventually on the Christian side, Jerusalem, The Daniel Band, of course Stryper, Saint, Deliverence, Vengeance, Believer, Sacrament, Matrix (Bride), and the list goes on forever. But what happened was I found myself being drawn to the heaviest of each band I listened to, so with Maiden it was Ghengis Khan and with Matrix it was Follow Your Heart, and Jerusalem's Sodom until someone bought Ride The Lightening and Fight Fire With Fire blew me away. I remember where I was and who I was with the moment I heard that song. So then I read a review of Reign In Blood and went for it. It wasn't as polished as Metallica was so it didn't appeal right away but it grew as I was able to understand the music better. By then I had been a metalhead for many years but I wasn't satisfied with what I had heard yet. Metal was the most majestic, epic, amazing music ever produced. I had always enjoyed concert piano and orchestras so metal was natural for me. The mid '90's was a difficult time for me because it seemed that metal had been swallowed up by either grunge or American Death Metal which wasn't vast enough to be proper. But with the entrance of some amazing Black Metal bands, metal really came into its own with me. Emperor, Dimmu, Cradle and Old Man's Child were near the pinnacle of what Metal could be. And now with Power Metal Bands like Rhapsody, Freedom Call and Arjen Anthony Lucassen, metal has come back to and surpassed its glory years before Glam dumbed it down into oblivion.

Alex:

What are some of your favorite metal bands? Christian and secular

Azahel:
I will try to narrow it down to the top few but there are many (my iTunes holds over 40 gig right now); Maiden, Dio, Fate's Warning, Leviticus, old Metallica, old Anthrax, Carcass, Samael, King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Knorkator, Cradle of Filth, Dimmu Borgir, the Kovanent, Old Man's Child, Crimson Moonlight, Warrior, Rhapsody, Freedom Call, Emperor, old Sentenced, old Bride, Children of Bodom, Einhejer, Dragonforce, Immortal, Manowar, Lizzy Borden and many more...

Alex:

Many people seem to compare your vocals you have done with Frost Like Ashes, to Dani Filths vocals. Would you agree with this statement? and if so how do you feel being compared to Dani?

Azahel:

I think there are some aspects that are similar. But if you follow what I have done since '92 you can see the progression and see that I have been doing what I do since before Dani was ever performing. I will tell you that when I heard Dusk...for the first time, I thought that there were similarities and that Dani was amazing. I truly think that the biggest thing that cause people to draw that conclusion isn't really the sound as much as we both sing fast. That is not common in Black or Death Metal. I have always been fast in my delivery. Before Dani, Black Metal had tended to be very slow vocally. So the uniqueness of our delivery style brings on the comparison. I am always honored by being compared with Dani. Many people dismiss him for many reasons but I think he is one of the all time greats.

Alex:

As a band, what would you say the biggest goal of Frost Like Ashes is?

Azahel:
Write the best music in the world, displaying the power of the one true God.

Alex:
Frost Like Ashes is many times mentioned in articles and forums with bands such as Antestor, Crimson Moonlight, and many other Christian black metal bands from Europe. How does it feel to be placed amongst bands such as these? Would you compare yourself to any of them?

Azahel:

It is always good to be placed with other quality bands. It is also good to be mentioned within a genre which has been almost exlusively a European music style. There is a different attitude towards music in Europe and often it is superior to the American attitude. So to be recognized with bands such as these, is proof that we are rising up to the next level in songwriting. We have played with Crimson Moonlight and I have played with other European bands before and I wouldn't compare us to them musically. We have a very distinct Death Metal foundation that we build upon that the others don't. I feel it has European roots as well since it lies in great German and Swedish Metal and Death Metal bands from the eighties and nineties but it is still different from what the European Black Metal bands are doing.

Alex:

In some of your own words, can you please describe the use of corpse paint, and how it fits with you personally.

Azahel:

For us, we refer to it as War Paint, it is a visual representation of the musical and spiritual aspects of FLA. We refer to our music as "music to make war to" which is a Scripturally based concept that we feel is a real thing that happens when we play and whenever the cd is played. So our personnas are each a personal reflection of this concept of spiritual warfare.


Alex:

Frost Like Ashes previous album "Tophet" got some good reviews, and i myself enjoy listening to it quite a bit. Is there anything that you could tell us about upcoming releases, like the EP that was mentioned before on the website or the cover CD mentioned in the online interview, or even the full-length?

Azahel:
Well, we have been working as we can on several projects which has proved daunting with our varied locations throughout the U.S.. In the works is an Ep which is called "Born To Pieces". It will be a slight departure for us topically. And it is something that has never been heard before, I am certain. We also have several songs finished and more in the works for a cd called "Covered in Frost" which is our tributes to some of the many, mostly non-metal, bands that have influenced us personally as we were being formed into musicians. and then the major Full-length is called "Gods of the Great Whore" and will be released with a corresponding novel called "Morningstar". Each song on the cd will be the musical representation of one of the chapters in the novel. I am still writing the novel and some of the music has been written. The artwork is nearly complete as well. However, the release that is certain is a limited Cornerstone release of "Born To Pieces" which may include some tracks that won't be on the full ep release later. It will only be available at Cornerstone and will be in very limited quantities.





Alex:
How do you feel on the topic of black metal, and what many people put it up to be?

Azahel:

Well, I have come to believe that all music, at its very core, is from God, regardless of who writes it or performs it. God created everyone and God supplies each person with his or her talents and so the use of those talents, especially when speaking of music, inherantly bring Glory to God. SO the Christian who claims that Black Metal is of the Devil is simply wrong as is the satanist who claims that Black Metal belongs to the devil or at least to satanic philosophy. Black Metal is a form of music which cannot be eternally connected to some method of thought. This is proven by simply sifting through the many and diverse secular Black Metal bands. Dimmu, Cradle, Immortal, Marduk, Mayhem, OMC, Satyricon, Samael are all different in the style of the Black Metal they play and vary in the ideology displayed in their songs. To say that a Black Metal song of war is only truly Black Metal if a particular entity is victorious by the end of the song is to trivialize this, possibly one of the greatest forms of music known to man. Black Metal is a form of music and a form that is most fitting to God. Moreso than the vast majority of the pablum found in churches today for certain!

Alex:
Frost Like Ashes will be playing at Cornerstone festival this upcoming year. You must be quite excited to have an oppurtunity such as this. Now Fire (Jarek) from Elgibbor and Fire Throne will be filling in on bass because of Ruach being in Mexico. How do you know Jarek, and are you excited to play at Cornerstone?

Azahel:

I have yet to meet Jarek in person. Seems to be a pretty popular guy from the looks of the message boards. The rest of the guys think he will fit in nicely with us. We have been very fortunate to have had Ruach with us and definately for his willingness to step aside and allow this to happen. To me, Ruach is still part of FLA as is Jarek. I will meet him in June when we begin final rehearsals for the Cornerstone show. Personally, I have been eager to play Cornerstone since '90. They have seemed to shy away from both Possession and FLA but now the chance is here and we want to make it a show that will be talked about in the lore of Cornerstone for decades to come. Playing to Christian crowds has never been a goal of FLA or Possession for that matter. Combined, both bands have played less than 5 Christian shows. Only 2 Christian venues that I can remember. That is not the focus of Frost Like Ashes. But Cornerstone is a different animal and we are all looking forward to the experience and to hopefully meet many of the people from around the world that have supported us for so long.

Alex:

What would you say is your absoloute favorite genre of music?

Azahel:

Well, It is a toss up between Black Metal and Symphonic Power Metal. It depends on my mood. I think that Black Metal is truly the culmination of everything I have strived for and desired since I was in Junior High in the '70's. But Symphonic Power Metal is often closer to Classical music and is more accessible so it holds its own place in my heart as well.

Alex:

Top 5 albums? Christian and secular

Azahel:

Ok,(secular) King Diamond - Abigail, King Diamond - Them, Metallica - Ride The Lightning, Slayer - Reign In Blood, (tie) Anthrax - Among The Living, Emperor - IX Equilibrium, Immortal - Sons of Northern Darkness, Old Man's Child - Ill-Natured Spiritual Invasion, Samael - Ceremony of Opposites
(Christian) Leviticus - Setting Fire to the Earth, Paramaecium - Exhumed of the Earth, Saint - Warriors of the Son, Saint - Time's End, Believer - Extraction From Mortality, Vengeance - Human Sacrifice

Alex:

Favorite song?

Azahel:

You're kidding right? Of all my favorite songs, this is one of them; Sons Of Northern Darkness - Immortal

Alex:

*laughs*
What kinds of foods do you enjoy eating?

Azahel:

German dishes such as KrautStruedle or Cabbage Rolls and Knoephla, as well as Veal Parmigiana, and Country Fried Steak.

Alex:

What has been your favorite show that FLA has performed?

Azahel:

I have enjoyed nearly every show we have done but I would say one that stands out to me is the very first show we played. The reaction from the crowd was amazing. Cameras were flashing and it was crazy.

Alex:

Do you see big plans to happen to FLA in the coming future?

Azahel:

It will be as big as we allow God to bring forth. It is completely up to God. I don't know what the future holds.



Alex:

Do you see a change in FLA's style of music later on or do you plan to have it stay relativley the same?

Azahel:

Both Sebat and I have a similar philosophy in this area. I feel that if we were to change the sound dramatically, we would do it under a different name. Frost Like Ashes has a specific purpose and a departure from our musical style would not fit that purpose. Many bands have changed dramatically in the past and kept the same name. Metallica being the biggest example of this but there have been many more; Dark Tranquility, Sentenced, Samael, Moonspell and some might even throw Cradle in the mix. To me, Frost Like Ashes will always be the same, granted our songs already vary considerably from Adorers of Blood to Nightfall's Cold Kiss to Lord of Darkness, but they all still sound like FLA. If we ever want to do something different, it won't be under the FLA moniker.

Alex:

How do you feel towards Christian bands that have gotten really big in the music scene today, such as UnderOath, or Norma Jean?

Azahel:

I can't speak to either of those bands specifically but my view is that every band should be seeking that sort of popularity since that is where we are needed the most. The only ones who I would say do not need to seek this would be those bands who are only creating entertainment for Christians which is a legit purpose. But that is not what is happening. Bands that make it "big" and who don't compromise their beliefs are bands that should be held up as a standard, not disparaged.

Alex:

What is the WORST black metal CD you have purchased? What is the worst CD you have purchased period?

Azahel:

Wow, there have been many but I would say the one that stands out that I had to return to the store was by God Dethroned, Lair of the White Worm. There was also an album by Two Witches which was pretty terrible too. Come to think of it, neither of those are Black Metal bands...how about Marduk's La Grande Danse Macabre or anything by Ancient

Alex:
Do you enjoy listening to folk influenced metal such as Eluveitie, Finntroll, Moonsorrow or Holy Blood?

Azahel:

Of those mentioned I have only heard Finntroll but what I have heard I have enjoyed. I think Skyclad and Hel could be classified in that genre as well and I like them both. So yeah.

Alex:

As a Christian do you feel it is nescessary to spend time reading the Bible every day?

Azahel:

Absolutely. The Bible is our main revelation from God to us. If we are to get to know Him then we must get to know the Bible. It is the foundation of everything we believe and without proper learning from it, any Christian is certain to fall captive to false ideas about God which could lead to damnation, it is that serious.

Alex:

"To be a Christian without prayer is no more possible than to be alive without breathing."-Martin Luther King Jr.
How do you feel when you read this quote? Do you agree with it?

Azahel:

I feel like I have much more respect for MLK Jr. I have not heard that quote before but it is true. How can you have a relationship with someone if you never speak to them? And how can you execute a battelplan if you never communicate with the General? You can't. But the main part to prayer is not in the asking but in the listening and that is where most people fail. They do alot of talking but never listen. Prayer should be alot more listening than talking, after, we don't know what's going on, He does.



Alex:

Is there a specific type of Church you like to attend (denomination wise) or does it not matter to you?

Azahel:

Personally, I attend a Nazarene church. I am third generation Nazarene with my grandmother joining in 1910, two years after its inception. I think it is paramount that a person attend a denomination that teaches the theology and doctrine that holds the closest to that person's beliefs as possible. If you attend a church for any other reason to the detriment of doctrine or theology then you cannot be discipled which is the primary purpose of the church. For me, that is the Church of the Nazarene but as long as the essentials of the Christian Faith are taught then it doesn't matter which denomination it is.

Alex:

Do you beleive that God still does miracles today?

Azahel:

The fact that I am talking to you confirms that is true. I have witnessed miracles and have heard them related by very reliable sources. There is no doubt in my mind.

Alex:

For metalheads that have parents who do not agree with "Christian" metal, is there anything that you would like to tell them? Any advice? Or uplifting words you could provide?

Azahel:

My parents did not even approve of anything resembling rock music. I went through all the arguments that one could and we had our fights but ultimately I came to the conclusion that obeying my parents was more important than my listening preferences. That was a difficult decision since, even then, I knew I was right in my arguments. But it is clear in Scripture that while we are under the authority of our parents, we are to obey them without complaint no matter unless what they demand is morally opposed to God's Law. Not listening to metal is not morally wrong. Here is the thing, once you move out you will be able to listen to whatever you decide and the years you will have will be much more than the few years you spend under your parents' authority. And the benefit you will get from learning to obey God's will in your life is far greater than anything you would get from listening to a particular style of music. So learn to obey God by obeying your parents.

Alex:

If FLA could tour with any ONE Christian band (broken up or not) in the world, who would it be according to your opinion? How about secular?

Azahel:

Crimson Moonlight and Old Man's Child

Alex:

How do you feel towards the whole Rap/Hip-hop scene?

Azahel:

I suspect you are refering to the secular scene? I think the Christian scene has gone through similar trials to the metal scene but they are some seriously solid Christians. As far as the secular scene, it is far more vile and destructive than the metal scene. Even if someone is into Goregrind or Death Metal bands such as Cannible Corpse, they are not affected in the same way that listeners are affected by hip hop and rap. Hip hop and rap are a lifestyle and I truly feel that hip hop and rap create more reality than it reflects. Oh, and 50 Cent is a terrible rapper, just for the record.

Alex:

Lord of the Rings Trilogy or 300?

Azahel:

Lord of the Rings although if 300 had been dealt with in the same manner as Pathfinder, it would have been much better.

Alex:

I have read in multiple places and heard that on stage you will shatter pentagrams and rip up satanic bibles. Do you think this has an effect on those in the crowd? How many people would you say it has really struck?

Azahel:

It has a huge affect on the crowd but in different ways. In Las Vegas fans came up afterwards and were so excited that someone had the guts to directly attack people like Marylin Manson or Dani Filth. And they knew exactly who we had in mind without us even saying a word. What it does is embolden them to not be afraid to stand up when Christianity is attacked. It is edifying to a real Christian. In Omaha, we had Satanists who were very offended by the things we did. They reacted very strongly throughout the entire show. Yet, at the very same time there were other Satanists there who were taken aback but then drawn to us by the curiosity of the whole thing. They absolutely respected the power and authority we displayed. We were able to speak with one very indepthly for nearly an hour after the show. So we feel it is very effective and we have more things planned for the future.


Alex:

Do you have any advice for any vocalists or any Christian metal bands, or metal bands in general, that are just starting out?

Azahel:

If you are a Christian, do what the Spirit tells you to do and don't do what He doesn't tell you to do no matter what. On the music side, don't settle for some common piece of music, write something you would LOVE to listen to yourself. If it isn't there yet (you might need to get better at writing or performing) don't rush to release it. Wait until it is worthy of release. And be in it for the long haul. Make it your life. Don't get married. Marry your music. Most bands don't get recognized until they have been around for at least 10 years so don't start getting frustrated until your eleventh year!

Alex:

Any last words you would like to say? Any needs you would like to have the readers pray about?

Azahel:
Thanks for this chance to let people know who we are and always, daily keep FLA in your prayers as anytime we begin to make waves, Satan tries to make bigger ones and we need that protection around us all the time. Hails!!


Psalm 147:15-17

15 He sends his command to the earth;
his word runs swiftly.

16 He spreads the snow like wool
and scatters the
frost like ashes.

17 He hurls down his hail like pebbles.
Who can withstand his icy blast?

Blessings my friends, I will be doing some more interviews down the road, if you are a band, or a member of a Christian band and would like to be interviewed please contact me.
May Christ bless you all


www.myspace.com/frostlikeashes

www.frostlikeashes.com

No comments:

Post a Comment