Thursday, October 15, 2009

Erasmus - Sanguinus Nocturnus review (12/8/08)



Erasmus is a Christian black metal band that has just sprung up in the scene, like many others. Although, there is one thing that sets Erasmus apart from the others; they are one of the best that has come out in a while. If you have not heard them, I highly suggest you head on over to their myspace and give it a listen. Getting ahold of their EP might be quite difficult, however, since it is limited to 50 pressings.

"Sanguinus Nocturnus" is quite an astonishing EP, especially since it's the first release- although the song "Sanguinus Nocturnus" was originally released on a demo in four parts.

The musicianship on this EP is outstanding, however, I think the vocals could use some work- maybe less of the heavy static feeling, but I'm not sure if anyone else gets that feeling.

As for songs, i think my favorite so far would be "Non Draco Sit Mihi Dux." Even though this is the shortest of the four songs, I love the guitar riff that it contains. "Sanguinus Nocturnus," a piece that is almost 17 minutes long, is a compilation of the four tracks from the demo, as the artist intended it to be heard, is also a great track, and a big standout on the CD. The other two songs are the ones you can listen to on the myspace page, and they are quite good, but I personally do not like them as much as the other two stated.

Before I close, another thing I must point out is the artwork. It is really good, and the quotes on the back of the insert were very thought provoking as well... plus he thanked Gondolin in the insert too.

Overall, I give this release a 90/100. A very good first effort, and I will be looking for more in the future, and I suggest you all do as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment