Thursday, October 15, 2009

nterview with Élan/Day of Ascension (3/4/08)

242527.jpg




Alex:
Alright, so if you could start us off by introducing yourself, and telling us our significance in the Christian metal scene

Élan:
I'm Élan O'Neal, and I am the drummer for Day of Ascension, as well as a solo musician for my black metal project with the same name as my own, and my ambient project Old Forgotten Lands, amongst other things. As far as a significance, I believe I have olny just started out in the scene in a way, and still have much more I want to do for it... time will tell what can or will happen.

Alex:
Do you find it hard working on so many projects at times?

Élan:
The biggest struggle in that comes in deciding which project to focus on, and that mainly is determined by my inspirations upon the time of creating the music. However, my main priority is, and always will be with Day of Ascension.

Alex:
Do you see DOA's career as a band going far?

Élan:
I believe we have the willpower to keep it going and to do our best to make it whatever we want to, although none of us really expect a Christian black metal band to pay our bills. We definitely have a large drive to do what we do, and I know that even if members were to quit, one of us would keep the band going no matter what.

Alex:
haha, yeah many times Christian metal in general wont pay for bills. How have people responded to the music that DOA has put out thus far?

Élan:
Yes, exactly.
And people have mixed opinions on our first release... generally people tend to like different songs and whatnot, and many people seem to like it. However, I think they all can agree with us in that the band is young and still has room for progression, and I am excited to say that with the material we are currently writing we are taking a big step in a good direction.

Alex:
What would you say the new step, is taking a step towards?

Élan:
I think we're generally putting a lot more feeling into the writing process lyrically and musically... we are trying not to limit ourselves, and tryign to use the best of our abilities to create original music with a very in-depth atmosphere. For me personally, music is all about feeling, and I definitely feel a lot more emotion in our new material than in our older material.

Alex:
Yeah, i know for myself feeling defnitley plays a big part in the music i listen to. What are you aiming for the fans to get out of your music?

Élan:
I think my biggest hope is that people, Christian and non-Christian alike, will all take something from our music spiritually or emotionally... I want our music to be empowering and honest; something that even the most casual onlooker can notice. And of course, I also hope we can do our part to change society's portrayal of Christianity, as it seems many see it as some sort of oppressive force or religion. We think that the term "Christian" has been overtly genralized, and that is something we cannot stand for.
Christianity is about Christ, and His Father's uncompromising love for us, not oppression.

Alex:
That is absoloutley true, society has such a perverted image on Christians and its something that we need to make a change for. Now back to music though, when do you plan to have a next release?

Élan:
Yes, yes. And as for our next release, we really do not wish to establish a date for release right now, as we want all of our current music to be born our of inspiration, and not out of a rush to fit the date. All I can say is that it will most likely take a length of a time, but I believe it will be worth it.

Fredrik:
How about Élan, is there progress being made there?

Élan:
At the time, I am actually currently working on a concept album, but the inspiration has merely been coming and going. Once I feel that the inspiration is here again for an unabridged time, I will continue my work on this album




Alex:
Okay, so as a Christian do you feel that it is alright to cuss? Do you agree with this verse?
James 3:10-12
10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Élan:
I will be honest and admit that I personally have been dealing with cursing on occasions, as is a fallacy of mine. I don't think it is really necessary. It is a good thing that God forgives, because I have had many an unpleasant thing come out of my mouth. Words can sometimes speak on different levels than actions or thoughts, but all are related, and I believe that even thoughts that provoke harmful words are unnecessary. Therefore, if one wants to procreate things they care deeply about, littering their vocabulary with harmful speak is almost like not trying hard at all on a test or quiz in school.

Élan:
So in that, I believe that I have much growth to endure, and I suggest to all to consider the same thing.

Alex:
That is well put, and i understand cause at times i deal with cussing, especially when im angry. But we serve a merciful God. On the topic of scripture though, what would you say your favorite scripture is?


Élan:
I often find myself taking to hear the story of Job...I can, in some abstract ways, relate to many aspects of that whole ordeal he went through. It seems as if despite the good you tend to do for the world and the most casual life one wants, sorrow and pain hunts for you; it is ever searching for you. However, in any sorrow or in any pain, one can rely on God to deliver them. I know many people who see God as a crutch to believe in only when they endure hardships. I believe God is actually there helping you. Too many people think that God is unjust, and wants to see us suffer, and that's why there is suffering. I disagree with these people, as I believe we are born into a world of suffering and we procreate in it. God is our literal direct link to a world outside our own; a world outside suffering. And that is very real, as is portrayed in God's merciful acts in the end of Job's story.

Élan:
*taking to heart

Alex:
Jobs story truly was one of persiverance, faithfullness, it is one we must all take into consideration that when we think we are in the darkest of times, and that God is giving us the short end of the stick, we need to realize that he is not, it is all to make us stronger and we dont even have it as bad as it could be.

Élan:
Yes, and all that can see or feel know a presence of darkness in this world. However, a faith in God is not a "blind hope" to me. I know I have experienced first hand empowerment through life's trials. We are only on this world for about a century, and when compared to an eternity, it is a big deal to think about.

Alex:
What is the biggest influence on your lyrics? How about musically?

Élan:
Lyrically, I like to portray what life is like for a person like me; a person living in a shadowed world, with a light to guide me. This can break into socio-political, or emotive themes. I just try to be as honest as I can when writing lyrics, and tend to use a lot of figurative language in order to emphasize my points in a more artistic way.
Musically, I have influences ranging from old school black metal, to even jazz or 19th century classical. Whatever feels powerful to me, influences me. Some of my largest influences musically include bands such as Satyricon or Emperor, or composers such as Wagner or Strauss. It really depends on what is fitting for the type of music I create. And with Day of Ascension, we have such a wide influence range; obviously found in thrash, doom, and other styles of metal. It really is good to try to create original music with diverse influence.

Alex:
Diverse influences really are the best, i mean look at Virgin Black, they have very diverse influences and their music is totally original.

Élan:
Yes, of course. And even despite my visions and whatnot for Day of Ascension, I don't want to create just another generic black metal band. I want it to be the best of all the worlds we can include.


Alex:
Now i noticed you mentioned Satyricon and Emperor, and i know from Vandor you enjoy listening to them, but do you draw a line as to where bands shouldnt be listened to by the lyrics they express?

Élan:
That is a very good question. I have somewhat of a strange position on this. Basically, if bands are honest about their opinions, and the music is good, I will give them my ear. If they are just trying to sound Satanic or whatnot just for the sake of lumping into the same black metal mold as everyone else, I will pay no attention to it. I believe there are themes in black metal I can agree with, but a lot of it I disagree with, obviously, so when I listen to black metal lyrics, I do so from almost a sociologically observant standpoint, and nothing more and nothing less. I do think that it is between a person and God that will determine if he or she should be listening to secular black metal, as I know for some people it can dampen their walk with God. Thus far, black metal has not seemed to dampen my relationship with Christ, and that's good. However, if any song ever does, I will be cautious.

Alex:
What are your top 5 favorite Christian albums? Secular?

Élan:
Wow, very hard. For Christian albums, I'd have to say Antestor's "The Forsaken" (generic, but worthy answer), Cerimonial Sacred's "Our War is Only Against Hell", Light Shall Prevail's split with Whispers From A Dead World, Evroklidon's "The Flame of Sodom", and Crimson Moonlight's "Songs From the Archives".
As far as secular, Satyricon's "The Volcano" will remain the most influential album to me... other than that (and this is subject to change), I love Emperor's "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk", Deathspell Omega's "Fas -- Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum", Burzum's "Filosofem", and Xasthur's "To Violate the Oblivious".

Very hard list to compile. It is definitely subject to change.

Alex:
Favorite song?

Élan:
Oh, that is the most difficult question thus far. I'll just pay homage to my roots and say either Satyricon's "With Ravenous Hunger" or "Black Lava", seeing as those were my favorite songs on my first black metal album I ever got. Some dismiss this album as "sell-out black and roll", but I dismiss their opinion with great enthusiasm.

Alex:
Favorite food?

Élan:
Ha. Such a grim question.
But chicken is definitely a favorite. Sorry, PETA.

Alex:
What denomination of church do you attend?

Élan:
Well this is a very tough issue. I have been attending an evangelical free church for most of my life, but I would say no denomination holds claim over me. I simply live by God's word and inspiration. I do enjoy going to certain churches to worship with older songs written from a more classical standpoint though, as I do not really buy into contemporary worship.

Alex:
Ah, i feel as if im one of the only metalheads who does, i love contemporary worship

Élan:
And that's fine, and I support it for anyone who likes it. Personally I find myself to like more organ-driven music whilst worshipping though. It's nothing more than personal preferance.
Thus being why Antestor's cover of Jesus, Jesus, Ver Du Hja Meg is so powerful for me, even though I don't speak Norwegian, ha.

Alex:
What are other hobbies you enjoy participating in aside from music/

Élan:
Quite a lot, actually. Art, walking, thinking, observing nature, researching medieval history... anything to get my mind off of the modern world, or to channel my opposition to the conventions of the world.

Alex:
Thats great. any last words or thoughts you want to put out? Anything in specific you would like readers to pray for?

Élan:
I'd just like to encourage all readers to challenge all that the world feeds them, and to listen for God's voice. He is out there if you seek Him.
If anyone would like to pray for Day of Ascension, we would appreciate it. Also, if anyone ever wants to talk with us about any matter, whether it be spiritual or even something on their mind, they are encouraged to contact us.
Also, look for a feature on us in the upcoming March issue of the internet fanzine Underground Violence; to get this issue as an email for free, contact us for information on how to subscribe.

Hail to all for reading, and God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment