Thursday, October 15, 2009

Interview with Jayson Sherlock 10/10/08

Alex: If you could start us out by introducing yourself, and telling us your significance in the christian metal scene

Jayson: My name is Jayson Andrew Sherlock, and I guess my significance would be the fact that I have been closely involved with three of Christian metal's most renowned bands, Mortification, Paramaecium and Horde.


Alex: Where you raised in a Christian home? If not how and when did you come to know the Lord.

Jayson: I was raised in a nominal Catholic home, and attended a Catholic elementary school. I went thorough all the sacraments etc... but nothing really took hold of me. It was only when I was in my late teens that all the head knowledge made its way to my heart and made a big difference. My mother was a big spiritual influence on me in the my late teens, it was around this time that I committed my life to God.


Alex: Exactly how many bands have you performed/recorded with through your life thus far?

Jayson: Mortification, Paramaecium, Horde, Where Shadows Lie, Soundscape, Generator and inExordium.


Alex: Which have been your favorites to work with?

Jayson: Playing in Mort early on was a lot of fun, but musically I really enjoy playing with my current bands - inExordium and Soundscape


Alex: Which ones took the most success?

Jayson: Obviously Mortification was the most successful, with Horde and Paramaecium following


Alex: What has your favorite show been that you have performed?

Jayson: Definitely the Horde and Paramaecium shows in Oslo were the highlight for me.


Alex: Do you feel you have accomplished much, bringing the term "Unblack" onto the metal scene, and breaking new ground in Christian black metal?

Jayson: Yes, I'm glad to have made a difference in the metal scene. The stories that people have shared with me about how the bands I've been in have had a positive influence on them makes it all worthwhile.


Alex: Have you gotten many/serious threats from black metal elitists?

Jayson: Only second hand reports. Nothing substantial.


Alex: This one comes from a fan, he would like to know "Do you think that most Christian musicians are inferior to Secular musicians when it comes to playing their instruments well?"

Jayson: For most, yes definately.


Alex: Although inExordium has just started, has it taken off well so far? How have people responded to the vast change from the Paramaecium sound?

Jayson: The response have been really positive so far. We just need more people to hear it!


Alex: Are you satisfied with how the CD came out?

Jayson: I think it is easily the best project I've ever worked on, very happy with it.


Alex: What kinds of things do you like to do with your spare time?

Jayson: Play drums, eat food, draw and paint, write music, add to my collection of dinosaur toys and scale models, spend time with my wife.


Alex: What is your favorite band?

Jayson: This is really hard to answer, probably Severe Torture at the moment.


Alex: Top 5 favorite CDs (Christian then secular)?

Jayson: Christian:
Pathogenic Occular Dissonance - Tourniquet
Miseration - Your Demons Their Angels
Troubadour of the Great King - John Michael Talbot
Welterwork - Drottnar
Veil of Rememberance - Crimson Moonlight

Secular:
Human - Death
Focus - Cynic
Beneath the Remains - Sepultura
Cause of Death - Obituary
From Mars to Sirius - Gojira


Alex: Favorite song?

Jayson: Darkane - Secondary Effects


Alex: Least favorite band?

Jayson: Are you trying to get me in trouble? Too many bad bands too mention here.


Alex: If you could tour with any 5 bands, split up or not, christian or secular, who would they be? (and which of your bands would be touring)

Jayson: inExordium with - Death, Obituary, Bolt Thrower, Iron Maiden and Kiss. Purely for the personalities in each band, not for how the music would fit together live.


ALex: How often do you practice with inExordium.

Jayson:Every two weeks for six hours each rehearsal session.


Alex: How long have you been playing the drums (and any other instruments)?

Jayson: I've been playing the drums roughly since I was 8 years old. So about -- years, ha!


Alex: What kinds of foods do you enjoy?

Jayson: Ohhh, now we're talkin'. Almost anything, burgers, pizza, sushi, chicken, steak, roast, all sorts of asian cuisine, italian cuisine etc...


Alex: Do you attend a specific denomination of church?

Jayson: I don't personally consider myself of any denomination at all. I can't stand division, and I consider the term 'denomination' the same as 'division'. If you believe Christ died and rose from the dead, and follow after him, you are a Christian, end of story.


Alex: What are your views on cussing? Do you agree with this segment of scripture?
James 3:10-12:
10 Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. 11 Can both fresh water and salt water flow from the same spring? 12 My brothers, can a fig tree bear olives, or a grapevine bear figs? Neither can a salt spring produce fresh water.

Jayson: I totally agree with this segment of scripture. I think by cussing you mean using swear words? In an ideal world cussing or swearing would not have any place, however, I, in my human frailty am guilty of using swear words. I think that using negative words to put other people down is wrong, and much worse than the use of cuss words. Cuss words can be used in positive situations. For example if you are very passionate about something, you might use a cuss word to hammer the point home. I think this is fine, as long as you are not going to offend another person. In other words, be careful and selective. For letters joined together to make a word is not sin. The heart attitude is the cause of the sin.


Alex: Being in many bands, what is the best experience that you have had so far? Worst experience?

Jayson: As stated earlier, travelling to Norway with Paramaecium has been the highlight so far. Even though I've played in many a band, my touring experiences have been limited to Australia and New Zealand, until the offer to play in Norway. The most dissapointing experience would be learning that 3 weeks after leaving Mortification the first time, the band would embark on their first US tour.


Alex: What is your favorite Bible verse?

Jayson: Romans 7, 15 - 25. Sums up my whole life.


Alex: Do you feel its a necessity to spend time in prayer everyday in order to be a Christian?

Jayson: To be a useful and effective one I think yes.


Alex: Do you have any advice for upcoming Christian bands?

Jayson: Be real, be yourself, be true to yourself, be honest, be smart. Also, practice your instrument and rehearse a lot. A lot of Christian bands I see today are really unwise and bad at playing. Be bold by all means if thats what you are called to be, but be smart and don't embarrass yourself and other Christians and God by being over zealous and unrelatable. We are representing Almighty GOD here, be worthy to represent Him.


Alex: Any last words or prayers you would like to bring before the readers?

Jayson: Thanks for all your support over the years, it really does mean a great deal. Embrace life and live it to the full!

1 comment:

  1. i've always been a fan from Break the Cruse on. I very much still listen and enjoy the passion in your druming especially in the Exhumed of the Earth and Within the Ancient Forest albums. Thanks for doing the interview.


    I really am looking forward to the new inexordium album.

    Keep up the good work and thanks for the years of awsome art.

    ReplyDelete